I know, this doesn’t sound like a “Minutes” post, lol. But I promise it won’t be a long one!
Last week, Pastor told us he was going to give us this list, so I was pretty excited (since I’d forgotten) when I came up from dropping Little Man in the nursery to find that this was what he was talking about in morning service. I love that there are verses to go with each point (don’t we all love a little Bible (or a lot) with our Sunday services?) ((smile))
I’m going to list them out for you and leave my own thoughts to myself for today…that will keep this closer to a “minutes” post, right?
1) Teach them that there is a God and that He is the Creator of all things. (Gen. 1:1; Deut 6:4)
2) The Commandments, Doctrines, Accounts in the Bible are true. They MUST BE imparted to them. They MUST NEVER be ashamed of them! (Deut 6:4-9; Rom. 1:16)
3) Teach them Salvation and pray for their Salvation at a young age (2Tim 1:4,5)
4) There are no excuses for sinful/inappropriate behaviour (Gen 3:8-16)
5) Life is not fair, but God is! (Ecc 10:7; Jn 12:8)
6) There are 3 sides to every story and I’m not always buying yours! (Prov 22:15; Ecc 7:20)
7) Must be taught that they’re NOT entitled to anything. They have to work for it…they have to earn it! (2 Thess 3:10, 12; Prov 14:23)
8) The World doesn’t revolve around you! (Phil 2:20-21; Col 1:18)
9) Transgression (sin) brings punishment (Ecc 8:11; Gal 6:7, 8)
10) You don’t have to WIN, but you do have to do your BEST! (1Cor 9:24-27; Ecc 9:10)
11) Warn them of the 3 enemies of their life! (James 3:15)
a) World (Rom 12:1-2; 2 Cor 4:18)
b) Flesh (1Jn 2:15-17)
c) Devil (1 Pet 5:8)
12) WORK is more important than PLAY (1 Cor 10:7; 2 Tim 3:4)
13) ALL lies are BAD! (Ex 20:16; Prov 25:18)
14) We must teach our kids the difference between what is CLEAN/UNCLEAN. (2 Cor 6:14-18
15) Must be taught to OBEY authority (Eph 6:1-3; 1 Pet 2:13- 3:7)
16) Must be taught that the ONLY real JOY and satisfaction in life is found in
a) serving Jesus Christ (Rom 14:17; Gal 5:22)
b) caring for others (2 Cor 2:3,7; 7:13; 3 Jn 1:4)
These are such great, practical things to teach our children. And often not easy lessons for them to learn. I think it’s often hard for parents to watch their children learn some of these lessons as well. We want to make things perfect for them in life. But, they do grow up to be adults and we want them to be good members of society – AND, more importantly, as Christians we want our children to love the Lord with ALL their hearts. While we can’t ensure that this is going to happen (each child makes their own decisions in regards to attitude, etc) we can teach them the way the Bible tells us to.
I hope this list is an encouragement to you, and one that you can pray through so that you can include the Lord in helping you train your children.
Also, don’t forget about the “Praying for your child to Bee” calendar that I posted here in April. The attributes I put on it closely mimic the 16 things above that we should be teaching our children. You can click on the picture below to download a copy for yourself.
Happy Monday Everyone!