It’s that time of year…when the world starts to count down till Christmas cheer, every year…
heheheh…I know I’m terrible at changing the words to a song. That’s one of my favorite songs at Christmas, though (when the world falls in love every song you hear, seems to say, Merry Christmas). =)
Well, I wanted to get this post in before December hits because you have to start an advent calendar on the 1st! I mean, you could totally start one on another day, but it would be weird. Yeah. Okay…moving on.
This year I decided to use this Christmas tree advent calendar from Pink Suede Shoes
And for the insides of them I’m using this list of ideas from Live Love Laugh
with a few changes for our own family traditions.
- Go outside and look at the moon & stars before bedtime. Remember the star that the wise men followed?
- Take Christmas pictures
- Decorate bedroom doors
- Watch a Christmas movie
- Bake cookies with Mommy
- A special present…To Be Announced (or thought of, lol)
- Make paper snowflakes
- Take Christmas goodies to a shut-in member from our church
- Make a Christmas card for friend
- Build a fort from blankets & pillows. Read a Christmas book in the fort.
- Have hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows or whipped cream.
- Donate food to a food bank in the area (or a needy family)
- Make window clings with fabric paint
- Play with our nativity and talk about Jesus as a Baby
- Eat dessert first (brownies with peppermint ice cream)
- Make a shiny star.
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights in our pajamas
- Sing carols
- Make paper toys (http://www.thetoymaker.com) (this looks sooooo cool!)
- Go on a Christmas scavenger hunt (I may regret this with a two year old!)
- Read Christmas story from the Bible and open Christmas Eve present from Mommy & Daddy
I’ve changed some of the original ones because they wouldn’t work in our city AND/OR with a 2-yr old. I’m not sure about the paper toy one, but it looks really fun so I’m game, hehe.
I’ve already gotten a couple of sources together for next year..and following. But YOU might be interested in them now.
I love the idea of having the wise men follow the star in this countdown activity from Sun Hats and Wellie Boots:
And this wreath (that she apparently found at Target, WHAT???) is pretty cool (I feel a DIY coming on)…also from Live Love Laug’h
And if you’re like me and love using fun activities to include a teaching moment…here is a REALLY neat idea from Creekside Learning
Unfortunately, the Littles wouldn’t quite understand this for a couple years yet, but it’s tucked away on my Pinterest board for when they’re old enough to appreciate good character.
This year I’m also planning on doing something a little different. I want to join in on this December “Photo-a-Day” Challenge from Raising Mighty Arrows. I WILL NOT be posting the pictures here on my blog, but I will be posting them on my Facebook page: Quiet Workings – and if I miss some, well, what can I say? I have a lot going on in my house right now, lol.
I hope you all are enjoying the “Make Me a Blessing” series. I plan to continue it on into December with some ways that we can all be a blessing to others.